Monday, November 28, 2011

Where I Belong



We spent the week of Thanksgiving camping up in Yosemite. We loaded up the old family caravan and pulled the trailer up to the beauty of the valley. It really is one of those "thin" places for our family. A place where the boundaries of heaven and earth seem to come together. It is not simply the beauty or the majesty of the place, but just the sense of peace, tranquility and "home".


As we drove there and back, we listened to a number of albums while we traveled down the central valley corridor before making a left and heading up to the mountains. One of our new favorites to listen to was the new Switchfoot album, Vice Verses. From start to finish it is a brilliant record, perhaps their best to date. The production, content and music is the best of their discography in my opinion, the album is also a great narrative and flows for beginning to end and back again.

Since the era of the music "tape cassette" has passed, I do not often just let an album loop over and over. We did this with Vice Verse and we were able to see how the story ends right where it began 11 songs earlier. Listen to the last song and first song together and you will see what i mean.

The album is filled with great songs that Nate loves to sing out from the back seat. The song that I lyrically can not get out of my head is the closing track, "Where I belong". It has a catchy, anthem-like musical foundation that you can't help imagining as a the closing song of a Switchfoot show. But, it is the lyrics which keep me thinking and reflecting.

It is a story about how we live out our life. Do we live our lives to the fullest? Do we live to make a difference now? Do we believe that we can make a difference? Or do we sit back and watch from the sidelines? If we are people of faith, do we simply view this life as a place to get through on our way to another? Too many people i encounter on a daily basis are living life for nothing, feeling as if they are stuck in the muck of the world, just trying to get through to the next day or the next thing.

This is what the song inspires for me: To live out this life as if it is the only thing we have, believing we can make a difference and change the world, one person and one thing at a time so that as Foreman writes;

"On the final day I die
I want to hold my head up high

I want to tell You that I tried

To live it like a song"

I want to see a generation wake up and live in a way that changes the world. I have the privilege of doing that as a vocation. Our young people are inspiring and truly believe they can make a difference in poverty, world slavery and more. How are you living today? Is it just another day to get through? Or are you looking to change the world, one moment at a time?

-B


Here are the full song lyrics:
"Where I Belong"

Feeling like a refugee
Like it don't belong to me
The colors flash across the sky

This air feels strange to me
Feeling like a tragedy
I take a deep breath and close my eyes
One last time
One last time

Storms on the wasteland
Dark clouds on the plains again
We were born into the fight

But I'm not sentimental
This skin and bones is a rental
And no one makes it out alive

Until I die I'll sing these songs
On the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong

Where the weak are finally strong
Where the righteous right the wrongs
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong

Feels like we're just waiting, waiting
While our hearts are just breaking, breaking
Feels like we've been fighting against the tide

I wanna see the earth start shaking
I wanna see a generation
Finally waking up inside

Until I die I'll sing these songs
On the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong

Where the weak are finally strong
Where the righteous right the wrongs
Still looking for a home
In a world where I belong

This body's not my own
This world is not my own
But I still can hear the sound
Of my heart beating out
So let's go boys, play it loud

On the final day I die
I want to hold my head up high
I want to tell You that I tried
To live it like a song

And when I reach the other side
I want to look You in the eye
And know that I've arrived
In a world where I belong
In a world where I belong
In a world where I belong

Where I belong
Where I belong

Where I belong

Where I belong

I still believe we can live forever
You and I we begin forever now
Forever now
Forever
I still believe in us together
You and I we're here together now
Together now
Forever now
Forever now
Forever now
Forever
Forever

1 comments:

Well said B, i think you have your next message for YG…Privileged to have your leadership and sense of perservation in this calling. -dave

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More